Make chickpea crumbs at home with this easy and affordable method! These grain-free breadcrumbs are protein-packed, plant-based, oil-free, and super crunchy!
2 15 oz. cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained* – about 3.5 cups
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Drain the chickpeas, reserving the liquid (aquafaba) to use for the breading process.**
- Add the chickpeas to the bowl of a food processor fitted with the s-blade.
- Process the chickpeas into large pieces, being careful not to puree.
- Add the pulsed chickpeas to a baking sheet, and spread out with a spatula into an even layer. The chickpeas will be clumped together at this point.
- Roast the chickpeas in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove chickpeas from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the chickpeas back into the food processor and pulse into fine crumbs. If seasoning the crumbs for a recipe, add the seasonings at this point.
- Add the chickpea crumbs back to the baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes longer.
- After 15 minutes, turn off the oven and leave the baking sheet in the oven to completely dry out the chickpea crumbs.
- Check the chickpea crumbs after 30 minutes. They should be dry throughout. If not, return to the oven for an additional 30 minutes to let the residual heat complete the drying process.
- Store the chickpea crumbs in the refrigerator or freezer until ready to use (if not using right away).
*I always save the liquid from the canned chickpeas (known as aquafaba) to use as the liquid in the breading process. It is a wonderful egg replacer for many recipes as well, so be sure to freeze it if you don’t plan on using it within a few days. Otherwise, store it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use it.
Keywords: chickpea crumbs, make chickpea crumbs at home, DIY chickpea crumbs, homemade chickpea crumbs, grain-free breadcrumbs, gluten-free breadcrumbs