This plant-based alternative to hot dogs is surprisingly tasty! Easy carrot dogs are just 30 minutes away.
- 8 carrots, peeled and trimmed to hot dog bun length
- 8 hot dog buns
- 1 cup soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tablespoons liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons steak sauce or vegan worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons ketchup or tomato paste
- 2 cups water
How to make Carrot Dogs on the Stovetop
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together liquid ingredients.
- Add peeled carrots and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a medium simmer and cook carrots until barely fork-tender, 8-10 minutes depending on thickness.
- Remove from the heat and let sit for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from the cooking liquid and serve with desired toppings.
How to make Carrot Dogs in the Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker
- All all liquid ingredients into the Instant Pot insert, and whisk to combine.
- Add carrots and lock the lid.
- Cook at high pressure for 3 minutes, then release pressure manually.
- Let sit in the marinade for 15-20 minutes, simmering in the liquid if not all the way cooked.
Topping ideas for carrot dogs:
Classic – mustard, ketchup, relish, onions
Vegan Mac & Cheese – yes, I went there, yes, it’s awesome
Vegan Chili – this is a good one, just saying