Perfect vegan coleslaw starts with a trick that you have to see to believe! Creamy, crunchy, savory, without a drop of oil or mayonnaise.
- 1 head green cabbage (or a mix of green/purple, thinly sliced by hand or with a food processor or mandoline)
- 2 carrots (peeled and shredded)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
For the dressing:
- 3/4 cup savory cashew cream*
- 1/4 cup unsweetened rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon whole celery seeds or 1/4 teaspoon ground celery seed
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper (or more to taste)
- In the bowl of a salad spinner or other large bowl, toss the cabbage and carrots with sugar and salt.
- Let sit for 5-10 minutes, then rinse under cold water and drain. The salad spinner basket is the perfect tool for this, but a large bowl and colander will work just fine.
- In the meantime, make the dressing by whisking all of the ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Spin the cabbage/carrot mixture dry using a salad spinner, or spread out over a sheet pan lined with kitchen towels and pat dry.
- Toss with the dressing, and season with additional pepper to taste.
- Keeps well in the fridge for 3-4 days, but it won’t last that long.
- Serve as a topping for carrot dogs or as a side at your next potluck.