Get your veggies and protein all in one tasty and healthy sauce! 30 minutes or less to make this protein-packed marinara sauce.
- 2 28 ounce cans cans crushed tomatoes (I love the Muir Glen brand with basil)
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced (about 2 cups )
- ½ cup red lentils, picked over and rinsed in a fine mesh strainer
- 2–3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (optional)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil (optional)
- 2 1/2 cups water
- Heat 4 quart (or larger) saucepan over medium heat.
- Sauté the garlic and salt in olive oil for 30 seconds or so, just to wake up the garlic flavor.
- Add the oregano, if using.
- Stir in the sweet potato and lentils, and cook for a minute or so.
- Add water, then bring to a boil, and reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes until lentils are soft.
- Add in crushed tomatoes, and simmer for another 5 minutes to let the sauce come together.
- Serve as desired.
This recipe can easily be doubled in an 6 quart saucepan or larger. Extra portions freeze well for later use.