Creamy, cheesy, and packed with vegetables and plant protein – yet completely vegan! You won’t believe this protein-packed vegan cheese sauce is healthy.
- 2 cups yukon gold potatoes (peeled and diced (450 grams approx))
- 1 cup carrots (peeled and diced (150 grams))
- 1/3 cup red lentils (picked over and rinsed)
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 2–3 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup raw cashews (optional for extra creaminess)
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 Tablespoons miso paste (soy or chickpea)
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a 4 quart saucepan or larger, cover potatoes, carrots, lentils, oats, and garlic cloves with water. If using cashews, add at this point.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a low boil/high simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Strain over a large bowl using a fine mesh strainer and return the solids to the pot or blender. Reserve the liquid for blending if needed.
- Reserve the liquid in case it is needed during blending.
- Add nutritional yeast, miso, vinegar, and salt, and stir to combine.
- Blend until creamy using either an immersion blender in the pot, or a standard blender. If the mixture is too thick, add reserved liquid 1/4 cup at a time until it can easily be blended.
- Adjust salt to taste, and serve as desired.
- Calories: 230