Crispy tofu bacon, ripe, juicy tomatoes, fresh and crunchy romaine, slathered in a healthy plant-based ranch dressing – this Vegan BLT Salad is the perfect summer meal!
- 1 block extra firm tofu (drained and patted dry)
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tablespoons liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste or ketchup
- 2 cups water
Vegan Ranch Dressing*
- 1 cup Savory Cashew Cream*
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or other mild vinegar
- 3 tablespoons tahini paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes (or 1/8 cup chopped fresh parsley)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried chives (or 1/8 cup chopped fresh chives)
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 head of romaine lettuce, torn or chopped into bite-size pieces
Make the Tofu Bacon
- Slice the tofu as thinly as possible using a sharp knife, mandoline slicer, or vegetable peeler.
- Mix marinade ingredients together in a tall resealable container.
- Add sliced tofu to the marinade and set aside for 4 hours or overnight. (see note for a quick marinade option)
- Strain tofu slices out of the marinade (reserve marinade for another use if desired).
- Cook tofu bacon slices in a skillet or griddle over medium heat until browned and crispy. Alternatively, bake at 400 degrees F, turning occasionally, until browned and crispy.
Make the Ranch Dressing
- Puree all ingredients except herbs in a blender or food processor until smooth and creamy.
- Add in the herbs and pulse a few times to break down the herbs and mix in. Pureeing the herbs will turn the dressing a pale green color, so be careful not to pulse too much if you want the dressing to look like “traditional” ranch.
- The mixture will seem thin, but will thicken upon refrigeration.
Assemble the Salad
- Top romaine with tomatoes, tofu bacon pieces, and any optional toppings you like, such as croutons made from toasted bread, or sliced avocado.
- Generously drizzle ranch dressing over the salad and dig in!
- Quick Marinade Option: Microwave tofu slices in marinade for 10 minutes on medium power, or simmer tofu and marinade in a saucepan for 10-15 minutes before straining and cooking the slices.
- If not making the savory cashew cream, add these ingredients to the blender to approximate the flavor:
- 1 1/4 cup raw cashews or pepitas*, soaked for at least 1 hour if not using a high speed blender**
- 1/2 tsp. light miso
- 2 tsp. nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp. apple cider vinegar or other mild unsweetened vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
*Quick-soak option: Boil cashews for 15 minutes in a small saucepan, the drain and proceed with recipe