Vegan Cheeseburger Soup is plant-based, oil-free, and packed with protein, nutrition, and FLAVOR! This hearty soup is not only healthy, but oh so satisfying and tasty.
Soup base/cheese sauce
- 3 medium gold potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1/2” pieces (about 2 cups)
- 3 carrots, chopped into 1/2” pieces, (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup red lentils, rinsed in fine-mesh strainer
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (not quick oats)
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 2-3 garlic gloves, peeled
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups water, vegetable broth, or vegan beef broth
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons light miso paste
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
Vegetable Meat Substitute (the “ground meat”)
- 3/4 cup raw pepitas (pumpkin seeds) or walnuts
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomato strips (dry-packed)
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 1/2 head cauliflower (about 2 cups florets)
- 8 oz. crimini mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons Steak sauce or vegan worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- chopped pickles
- chopped red onion or scallions (grilled or raw)
- chopped lettuce
- vegan bacon bits
- chopped tomatoes
Make the Cheese Sauce/Soup Base
- In a large soup pot, add potatoes, carrots, red lentils, oats, garlic, and cashews.
- Cover with 4 cups of water or vegetable broth and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Cook for 10 minutes or until lentils and veggies are soft.
- Remove to a blender and set aside.
- Return soup pot to the stove (don’t worry about cleaning it out).
Make the “burger meat”
- In a large food processor, pulse the pepitas and sun-dried tomatoes until a finely crumbled and no large pieces remain. Do not puree into a paste. Set aside.
- Using the shredding attachment, shred the onion, cauliflower, mushrooms, and garlic.
- Heat the soup pot to medium-high, and add the shredded vegetables.
- Sauce the vegetables until cooked throughout and no moisture remains in the pot.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the pepita/sun-dried tomato mixture.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring to combine.
- Add the steak sauce and soy sauce and cook for 1-2 minutes more. Turn off heat.
Assemble the soup
- Add the nutritional yeast, miso, vinegar, and salt to the blender.
- Puree the cheese sauce until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the cheese sauce into the soup pot and stir to combine with the vegetable meat substitute mixture.
- Add 2 cups of water or vegetable broth and stir to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce to a simmer until warmed through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve with desired toppings.
Keywords: vegan, plant-based, vegan recipes, plant-based recipes, oil-free, whole foods plant based, wfpb, soup, vegan cheeseburger soup