When I think of a crunchwrap, or any drive-thru mexican food for that matter, the word healthy doesn’t immediately spring to mind. Until now. Friends, I present to you, the most plantified crunchwrap supreme you will ever eat. It is chock full of vegetables, but you would never, ever know it. I mean, the lettuce and tomato are pretty obvious, but invisible to the naked eye are the other veggies that are hiding in the tastiness. Would you believe it is also packed with plant-based protein and is oil-free as well? Well, it’s true. So let’s dive in, shall we?
I’m going to be up front with you about something right off the bat. Making this particular vegan crunchwrap isn’t a 30-minute meal. More like an hour, of if you’re me, 90 minutes. But, I have a couple of tricks to show you how it easily could be a 15 minute meal, if you’re willing to do some prep ahead of time. But, either way, the components all come together pretty easily, and bonus, you’ll basically have meal prep done for at least two other dinners. Intrigued? Let’s keep going.
To make the perfect vegan crunchwrap, here’s what you need:
- Vegan taco meat (basically the vegan ground beef with taco seasonings added)
- Protein-Packed Vegan Cheese Sauce (for the queso)
- Savory Cashew Cream (or your favorite vegan sour cream)
- Lettuce and tomato
- Corn tortillas and flour tortillas
The first three items are what take some time to prepare, because you’ll make them from scratch. BUT, each one makes more than you need for this recipe, so my ever-so-humble recommendation is to make them ahead of time, and take out what you need on Crunchwrap Night. Then all you have to do is shred up some lettuce, dice some tomatoes, and get to assembling. Doable, right?
Dinner prep, solved:
Stash the leftover vegan cheese sauce in the fridge or freezer, and pull it out for mac and cheese when you realize it’s 5:30pm and no one else has made dinner yet and there is no dinner fairy.
What to do with the leftover cashew cream? Endless options. Vegan ranch. Cheese sauce for pizza. Drizzled over roasted potatoes. Coleslaw. As the mayo in chickpea salad sandwiches. I could go on for quite some time. But instead, I think I better get back to the Crunchwraps.
Video: Vegan Crunchwrap Supreme
I am finally making videos again! I missed it a lot, but it still takes me a hundred bazillion years to do. I haven’t slept much in the past few days, but I have hope that one day I’ll be an efficient video-producing machine. In the meantime, watch hours and hours of work distilled into 60 seconds.
How to Assemble a Vegan Crunchwrap Supreme
And for those of you would prefer the still image over the live-action, here is the order in which you assemble a vegan crunch wrap supreme.
- Layer the vegan taco meat in the middle of the flour tortilla
- Add the vegan queso
- Place a crispy corn tortilla on top of the cheese layer
- Drizzle on some cashew cream
- Add the lettuce, tomato, and more cashew cream
- Fold the tortilla up over the filling in sections, overlapping as you go until the filling is covered
You’ve just folded up a pinwheel of floury flatbread concealing a pile of tasty goodness. Now toast it in a hot pan for a couple of minutes, seam side down, until golden and crispy. Flip it over and do the same on the flat side. And then, my friend, bite into that crispy, warm, melty, flavor-bomb of a handheld meal and wonder how you ever lived without it.
Ok, that might be taking it a little bit far. But I’ll tell you this. Michael doesn’t like to eat the same thing two nights in a row. But if it’s a Crunchwrap, he will. That’s about the highest praise I can get. So what are you waiting for? Go get your crunch wrap on!
Vegan Crunchwrap Supreme
- 2 cups Vegan Taco Meat or vegetarian refried beans
- 1 cup Protein-Packed Vegan Cheese Sauce or other vegan cheese sauce
- 1 8 oz. can green chiles**
- 1/2 cup Savory Cashew Cream or vegan sour cream
- 2 cups romaine or iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 to mato, seeded and diced
- 4 corn tortillas
- 4 flour tortillas, burrito size
- Crisp the corn tortillas. Bake at 400F for 10-15 minutes, turning every 5 minutes and checking often to avoid burning.*
- Warm vegan taco meat in a skillet on the stovetop.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine vegan cheese sauce and diced green chiles, and heat until warmed through.
- In the center of a flour tortilla, add the following ingredients in this order: 1/2 cup vegan taco meat, 1/4 cup vegan cheese sauce, 1 corn tortilla, 1 tablespoon cashew cream, 1/4 cup lettuce, sprinkle of diced tomato, 1 tablespoon cashew cream.
- Fold in tortilla edges into the center, overlapping each section until the filling is covered.
- In a skillet over medium heat, crisp crunchwrap folded side down for 1-2 minutes or until browned.
- Flip crunch wrap over and crisp for another 1-2 minutes or until browned.
- Serve immediately for maximum crunch and flavor.