Healthy and decadent unite in these vegan double chocolate hazelnut blender muffins! These gluten-free muffins are nutritious enough for breakfast yet taste like dessert. You’ll never believe they’re oil-free!
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 3/4 cup raw hazelnuts (toasted and skins removed (toasting optional)*)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup coconut palm sugar or organic unrefined cane sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips (set aside)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Add all ingredients to a blender and puree mostly smooth and no large pieces of nuts remain. Stir in chocolate chips. Fill 12 muffin liners to the brim. Bake for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out mostly clean. Remove muffins to a cooling rack for at least 10 minutes before enjoying!
*If toasting the hazelnuts, place on a baking sheet and roast for 10-15 minutes at 350F. Watch carefully to be sure the skins don’t start to burn (your nose knows, too). Remove from the oven and place the nuts in a kitchen towel, folding up the corners of the towel to create a little pouch. Rub the hazelnuts together in the towel until most of the skin flakes off, then transfer the nuts to the blender, leaving as much of the skins behind as possible. Afterward, don’t forget to turn up the oven temp to 375F to bake the muffins! 🙂