All of the flavors of the best damn vegan lasagna, layered on crusty toasted bread – it’s vegan lasagna toast! A meal prep session ends with an easy dinner! Plant-based, oil-free, and lip-smacklingly tasty!
For the Lasagna Toast
- 1 cup Savory Cashew Cream, recipe follows
- 4 cups Protein-Packed Marinara Sauce or your favorite marinara sauce, recipe follows
- 2 cups Vegan Spinach Ricotta, recipe follows
- 8 thick slices hearty bread (or halved sections of baguette)
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, peeled
Savory Cashew Cream
- 2 cups raw cashews*
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon chickpea miso, optional (any light miso will work)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon unseasoned rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
Protein-Packed Marinara Sauce
- 2 28 ounce cans crushed tomatoes (I love the Muir Glen brand with basil)
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup red lentils, picked over and rinsed in a fine mesh strainer
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, optional
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, optional
- 2 1/2 cups water
Vegan Spinach Ricotta
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 10-12 ounce firm or extra-firm tofu drained (1 package is typically 10-12oz but can go up to 14oz, which also works fine)
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach or 1 cup frozen spinach
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon light miso (white, yellow, or chickpea)
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
Make the Savory Cashew Cream
Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender or food processor until creamy and smooth.
Make the Marinara Sauce
- Heat 4 quart (or larger) saucepan over medium heat. Click here for Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker instructions.
- Sauté the garlic and salt in water or olive oil for 30 seconds or so, just to wake up the garlic flavor.
- Add the oregano, if using.
- Stir in the sweet potato and lentils, and cook for a minute or so.
- Add water, then bring to a boil, and reduce to a medium simmer.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes until lentils are soft.
- Add in crushed tomatoes, and simmer for another 5 minutes to let the sauce come together.
Make the Vegan Spinach Ricotta
- In a food processor or blender, pulse cashews, garlic, miso, salt, and nutritional yeast until the mixture is fine and crumbly.
- Add the tofu, spinach, and basil and pulse until thoroughly combined.
Assemble the Lasagna Toast
- Preheat oven to broil at 450F.
- Thin savory cashew cream with water until it is a pourable consistency.
- Place bread slices on an oven-safe rack on a sheet pan. You can also place them on parchment paper directly on the sheet pan.
- Toast bread on top rack of oven until golden brown, 2-3 minutes. Watch carefully so it doesn’t burn!
- Flip bread over and toast the other side, 2-3 minutes. Keep your eye on it!
- Cut a clove of garlic in half and rub it on the hot surface of each piece of toast. (optional step)
- Spread a generous layer of vegan spinach ricotta on each slice of toast, about 1/2 cup per slice, depending on the size of the bread.
- Spread on a 1/4 cup of marinara sauce on top of the ricotta layer.
- Drizzle savory cashew cream over the marinara sauce, about 1/4 cup per slice.
- Broil for 2-5 minutes or until the cashew cream has browned in some spots. Be vigilant to remove from the oven before it gets too browned. It happens quickly!
- Serve and enjoy!
Keywords: vegan, plant-based, vegan recipes, plant-based recipes, oil-free, whole foods plant based, wfpb, wfpbno