Mashed potatoes for dinner? Yes, please! Upgrade the classic side dish to the main event with these vegan mashed potatoes that are plant-based, oil-free, packed with hidden veggies, and so creamy and delicious!
- 3-4 lbs yukon gold or russet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 2 inch pieces
- 1 16oz. bag of frozen cauliflower florets (or 1 head cauliflower, cored and chopped into large florets*)
- 1/4 cup raw cashews (optional, but recommended)
- 1 T. nutritional yeast
- 2-3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tsp. salt
- In a large saucepan, cover cauliflower florets with water by 2 inches. Add cashews and garlic cloves.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-high and cook for 6-8 minutes, or until cauliflower is easily pierced with a fork.
- Strain the water off and remove the cauliflower, cashews, and garlic to a blender or food processor and let cool.
- To the same pot, add the chopped potatoes and cover with water by at least an inch.
- Bring a to boil, then reduce heat to medium and cook potatoes for 8-10 minutes, or until a fork goes through a piece of potato easily.
- Turn off the heat, drain the potatoes, and return them to the hot pot.
- To the ingredients in the blender, add 1 tsp salt and 1 T nutritional yeast, if using.
- Puree the cauliflower sauce until smooth and creamy.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher or electric mixer until smooth.
- Mix in the sauce gently, taking care not to over mix and make the potatoes gluey.
- Add a splash of unsweetened, unflavored plant milk to thin, if necessary.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Keywords: vegan, plant-based, vegan recipes, plant-based recipes, oil-free, whole foods plant based, wfpb, mashed potatoes