Baked potatoes can be a meal, just not a side! These protein-packed stuffed baked potatoes are a healthy way to embrace your inner carbivore. Vegan, gluten-free.
- 4 large baking potatoes (300g each) (halved lengthwise)
- .75 cup red lentils (picked over and rinsed)
- 1.5 cups savory cashew cream, recipe below (divided* (make 1 batch))
- 1 head of cauliflower (broken into florets)
- 1/2 large yellow or white onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup chives or green onions (minced, to garnish)
- 1 batch of tofu bacon, recipe below (chopped into “bacon bits”, optional (but highly recommended))
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Place potatoes cut side down on a greased baking sheet (or line with parchment paper).
- Place cauliflower florets on another baking sheet. Drizzle 1 teaspoon of olive oil over florets if desired.
- Roasted potatoes and cauliflower for 30 minutes. The cauliflower should be done at 30 minutes, but the potatoes may need a bit more time if they are really large.
- In the meantime, saute the onion and garlic for 5 minutes in a medium sauce pan over medium-low heat. Stir in red lentils and salt, and add water or vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10-15 minutes until lentils are tender and water is absorbed. The lentils will break down as they cook, which is to be expected. Remove to a large mixing bowl and let cool.
- When the cauliflower is finished cooking, add it to the mixing bowl with the lentil mixture and 1 cup of savory cashew cream.
- When the potatoes are cooked, let them cool briefly and then scoop out the flesh into the mixing bowl, being careful to leave at least 1/4” thickness of potato connected to the skins.
- Roughly mash the lentil mixture, cauliflower, cashew cream, and potato until thoroughly combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If making the tofu bacon bits, mix in half at this point, and reserve the other half for topping.
- Stuff the potato halves with the mixture, and roast at 400F for 10 minutes. Broil the tops for 1-2 minutes if not sufficiently browned during the roasting time.
- Garnish each half with reserved cashew cream, tofu bacon bits (if using), and chopped chives or green onions. Serve one half per person for a complete meal (two halves if your potatoes are on the small side).
*Sub plain unsweetened vegan yogurt or vegan sour cream