This easy tofu bacon is smoky, crispy, and a little bit chewy – perfect for a vegan BLT!
- 1 block extra firm tofu (drained and patted dry)
For the Marinade
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 Tablespoons Vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 2 Tablespoons Liquid Smoke
- 2 cups water
- Slice the tofu as thinly as possible.
- Mix marinade ingredients together in a tall resealable container.
- Add sliced tofu to the marinade and set aside for 4 hours or overnight. (see note for a quick marinade option)
- Strain tofu slices out of the marinade (reserve marinade for another use if desired).
- Cook tofu bacon slices in a skillet or griddle over medium heat until browned and crispy.
- Serve as desired, but I must recommend a TBLAT (Tofu Bacon Lettuce Avocado Tomato sandwich, of course!)
Quick Marinade Option: Microwave tofu slices in marinade for 10 minutes on medium power, or simmer tofu and marinade in a saucepot for 10-15 minutes before straining and cooking the slices.
Reuse marinade as many times as you like, but discard after 3 days (keep refrigerated).