These tacos are about to blow your mind. They are the most amazing tacos you will ever eat. Chipotle + cauliflower + tacos = SCRUMDIDDLYUMPTIOUS. Uh-oh, the hyperbole meter on my laptop just exploded.
So…I might be overdoing it on the accolades for these tortillas stuffed with spicy vegetables, but in my defense, it’s after midnight and I’m all hopped up on a musical high while listening to the Dear Evan Hansen soundtrack in my headphones. The rest of my family is sound asleep and has no idea that this middle-aged mom is mouthing the words and occasionally shaking her ample booty to the music. You wanted that window into my world, right? NO? Well, tough tacos. Wait, no.
Ahem…back to the tacos.
I’ve been getting really into experimenting with pepitas lately, and one of those experiments worked out so well that these tacos were born. Pepitas, if you aren’t familiar, are raw shelled pumpkin seeds. They are packed with protein and nutrition, and are also in the Coconut Clusters at Costco that I’m not allowed to buy anymore because the bag is gone within 24 hours. They are also in these muffins. ANYHOO, I wondered if they could be blended up with chipotle peppers and cumin and lime juice and salt and used as a batter for cauliflower. It turns out, YES, yes they can. And wowee, it’s good. I just typed the word “wowee.” And I’m not even going to delete it.
Yes, my friends, that dull-looking wet batter becomes lovely brown crispy goodness after a quick nap in the hot room. Hot yoga for vegetables? Too far, Beth. Rein it in. Noted. Anyway, the batter transforms into (slightly) spicy, crunchy, savory crumbles of goodness that you will be eating right off the pan. But leave some for the tacos. Because once you drizzle on some cashew cream, tuck in some purple cabbage and cilantro, and adorn it all with luscious avocado, you’ll be in full-on taco nirvana.
Want to see it in action? Here’s a quick video to show how these come together.
Is it weird to crave tacos at 1am? Because I am, and I had tacos for dinner. But just looking at these makes me hungry. If it makes you hungry too, chances are, you’ll be adding the ingredients to your shopping list and putting it on the Taco Tuesday slot in your meal plan, because you are a person who plans for tacos and I salute you.
Truth is, I’ll eat these any damn day of the week. Even at 1 o’clock in the morning.
Chipotle Cauliflower Tacos
- 1 head of cauliflower, broken into small florets
- 1/2 cup pepitas (raw shelled pumpkin seeds)
- 1 tablespoon chipotle puree*
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 cup water
- 12 corn tortillas
- Thinly sliced purple cabbage
- Savory Cashew Cream or your favorite vegan sour cream
- Hot sauce
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Puree pepitas, chipotle puree, cumin, salt, lime juice, and water using an immersion blender, standard blender or food processor.
- On a baking sheet, pour pepita mixture over cauliflower and toss to coat.
- Roast the cauliflower in the oven for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until coating is browned and crispy.
- Portion cauliflower into warmed or crisped tortillas, and top with cilantro, cashew cream, purple cabbage, and avocado.
- Serves 4.