What the dill, yo? Where have you been? Oh, wait. It’s ME that’s been MIA. I’ve been dilling with the fact that summer is here and I have two little people under the age of 6 who are apparently trying to set the world record for the number of times a person can say “Mom!” in a 12-hour period. I wouldn’t have it any other way. Actually, that’s not true. I wouldn’t mind figuring out how to simultaneously care for small children, keep my house from looking like a tornado came through, and share fantastic plant-based recipes on the world wide web on a regular basis. But this is real life, so I’m settling for happy kids, a perpetually half-cleaned house, and what can best be described as intermittent sharing of recipes on this here blog. And today I have a dillicious one for you! Lemon Dill Cashew Dip, meet the people. People, meet Lemon Dill Cashew Dip.
I have to admit, I almost didn’t post this one, because it felt like I was cheating. Essentially, this is just my savory cashew cream recipe with copious amounts of lemon and dill added. But, it’s so good that I decided it deserved its own post. And a video, even.
No time to watch the video? No problem. I’ll give you a quick run-down so you can get your dip on ASAP.
Can we talk about how pretty fresh baby dill is? It’s soft and feathery and when you chop it up to stir into the cashew cream your fingertips will smell all fresh and herb-y and you won’t even care that people are looking at you weird as you sniff your fingertips.
Then you add that herbaceous goodness into a bowl of creamy cashew sauce, pour on a generous amount of lemon juice, and stir.
What you get is a silky, savory, zingy, creamy concoction just crying out for someone to dip ALL THE THINGS into it. Ok, maybe not all the things. Just things that would taste good with lemon dill dip on them. Like for example, steamed baby potatoes, cucumber slices, and celery sticks.
Fancy serving tray not required. But those purple/blue potatoes? Worth seeking out, my friends. Aren’t they gorgeous?
And now, you’ll have to excuse me, as I’m tired of looking at these pictures and am going to go devour the real thing. I highly suggest you do the same.
Happy summer, friends! Looking forward to being here a little less intermittently and a little more regularly just as soon as I find my Superwoman cape. It’s gotta be around here somewhere…
Lemon Dill Cashew Dip
- 2 cups raw cashews*
- 1 heaping tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon chickpea miso (optional, any light miso will work)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon unseasoned rice vinegar (or other neutral-flavored vinegar)
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 2-3 lemons, juiced
- 1/2 cup fresh dill weed, chopped (or use 2 tablespoons dried dill weed)
- Steamed baby potatoes, halved***
- Cucumber slices
- Celery sticks
- Pumpernickel bread
- Blend all ingredients except lemon juice and dill in a high-speed blender or food processor until creamy and smooth.
- Stir in lemon juice and dill, and chill for 1 hour before devouring with the dipper of your choice.**
- If not using a high-speed blender, soak the cashews in water for at least 2 hours. Drain and proceed with the recipe.
- If you can’t wait, it will still taste great, it just thickens up a little bit more after some time in the fridge.
- I cook baby potatoes in the Instant Pot, and they come out perfect every time. 1 cup of water in the pot, potatoes on a steamer basket above the water. For the really small ones, like the size of a golf ball, I cook them on manual pressure for 3 minutes with a quick release. Chill, slice, and DIP! 🙂