It’s fall. It’s cold. It’s gravy time. Unless you’re in a part of the world where it’s not fall, nor cold, in which case, I would argue that it’s still gravy time. And this here gravy I’m about to tell you about is worthy of pouring on pretty much everything. Not just because it’s lip-smackingly tasty, which it is, but because it’s about the most deceptively healthy thing you can scarf down.
What I’m about to show you may not compute at first, but trust me, this is math you will want to eat.
Yes, my friends. Red lentils + rolled oats + raw cashews + salt + onion powder + pepper = gravy. Protein-packed Vegan White Gravy, to be more mathematically accurate. Oh, you need video proof that this works? Here you go:
Or perhaps you are satisfied with a still life photo.
This is white gravy. It pours like gravy, it tastes like gravy, it IS gravy. But it doesn’t have any oil, butter, milk, or anything that comes from an animal.
To make this gravy, all you do is cook red lentils, oats, and cashews until the lentils are soft. Then you add the onion powder and salt, and blend it up until it’s gravy. That’s it! Oh, and then you add a bunch of pepper because yum.
Obviously you should drown a plate of vegan mashed potatoes in this stuff, and I just so happen to have a recipe that’s spud perfection. And because this gravy has so much going for it nutritionally speaking, you can have a big ol’ plate of mashed potatoes and gravy for dinner and not feel the least bit guilty about it!
Comfort food lovers, meet your new best friend.Print
You won’t believe this protein-packed vegan white gravy is oil-free! Made with whole foods in just a few minutes, this quick and easy gravy is ready to be poured over everything!
- To a medium saucepan, add red lentils, oats, cashews, and water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a medium simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes or until lentils are completely soft.
- Use an immersion blender to blend right in the pan, or remove to a blender and let cool for 5-10 minutes before pureeing. Be careful to leave a vent opening so the hot liquid doesn’t explode all over you.
- Return mixture back to the pot, then whisk in onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a medium simmer until the gravy thickens (3-5 minutes).
- Turn off heat, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
Keywords: vegan, plant-based, vegan recipes, plant-based recipes, oil-free, whole foods plant based, wfpb, vegan gravy, plant-based gravy