I loooooooooooooove peanut sauce. I love to slather it on veggies and brown rice. I love to dip salad rolls into it. I love to eat it right out of a bowl. I also love making my favorite foods healthier so I can eat more of them. Enter…sweet potato peanut sauce. This stuff is GOOD. Lick the plate good. And you can make it in 15 minutes or less! Let’s get started.
First, gather your ingredients. They are:
Sweet potatoes (1 large one should do it)
Next, peel and dice your sweet potatoes. My current favorite peeler is this one from Kuhn Rikon. It’s inexpensive, easy to handle, and also makes beautiful veggie ribbons (we’ll get to that in a minute). The easiest way to dice the sweet potato is to cut it into 1/2 inch slices, then cut the slices into 1/2 inch dice. Just a bit of quick knife work and you’re done!
My favorite part about this sauce is that you cook the sweet potatoes and make the sauce all in the same pot! You even blend it in the same pot. This means fewer dishes and that makes me happy.
Put the sweet potato pieces into a small saucepan (2 quarts is great), and cover with 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium and cook for about 6 minutes, until the sweet potato is fork tender. Add the rest of the ingredients and cook for a couple of minutes, whisking to combine everything together.
Now, to blend into creamy perfection. I use my immersion blender for this. It is one of the most used tools in my kitchen, and I am of the very strong opinion that anyone who cooks should have one. Even if all you ever use it for is to make this sauce, it’s worth it. 🙂
Blendy blend blend until creamy and silky smooth.
Can I get an Amen? YUM.
So, remember when I talked about making veggie ribbons with the peeler? That’s how I got those purty slices of rainbow carrots in the salad rolls above. And you better believe that they taste awesome with this sweet potato peanut sauce. And you also better believe that I made them on tv. That’s just how I roll. Dang, I love a good pun.
Now go make this sauce and find something on which to slather it, if you don’t have any salad rolls around, that is. I will be here if you need any suggestions. 🙂
Sweet Potato Peanut Sauce
- 2 cups sweet potato (peeled and diced (about 1 large sweet potato))
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 2- inch piece ginger root (finely chopped or grated with a Microplane (peeled if not organic))
- 2 cloves garlic (minced or grated)
- 3 Tablespoons soy sauce (use Tamari if gluten-free)
- 1 lime (juiced)
- Place the sweet potato and water into a small or medium sized saucepan (2-4 quarts).
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium and cook for 5-6 minutes, or until the sweet potato is fork-tender. DO NOT drain the water - it's needed for the sauce!
- Add the remaining ingredients and cook for 1-2minutes, whisking to combine.
- Remove from the heat and puree until smooth using an immersion blender. (see note for blending alternatives)
- Serve over steamed or stir-fried vegetables with protein of choice and brown rice for an easy dinner!