Look here, Spring. We need to talk. Your birthday was a couple of days ago, and it would appear you don’t want to get out of bed. Are you depressed? Because I am, and if you don’t put your big season pants on and get the heck out here with your sunshine and bright green everything, I’m going to lose my mind. So, I’m going to use what you might consider a harsh tactic and share a recipe that is typically summer fare, but I enjoy it year round because it tastes good and I don’t like waiting. Vegan Southwestern Coleslaw – it’s here and you can’t do anything about it, Spring, because you’re being a big baby who won’t come out from under the covers. Maybe once you start behaving, I’ll make something Spring-y. But just listen up, I have plenty of summer recipes and I’m not afraid to share them. You’ve been warned.
So, apparently, when I am in a bad mood, I talk to the seasons. If this coleslaw can’t cheer me up, I’m pretty much a lost cause. Come find me in June when at least if it’s grey outside, I won’t be this cold.
Ok, pity party over. Let’s make coleslaw and spike it with a creamy chipotle dressing that is sure to perk you up, and it just happens to be oil-free and totally plant-based too. Woohoo!
You might be wondering if I have a cabbage addiction, considering it’s been prominently featured recently in Roasted Winter Slaw, Winter Rolls, and Rainbow Rice. Addiction might be taking it a bit far, but it’s definitely in my fridge at all times right now. I love it raw, I love it roasted, I just love it. And when it’s combined with shredded raw sweet potatoes and a smoky, spicy dressing? SIGN. ME. UP.
Purple cabbage is my jam. I love it so much. That color…
Oh, look at that silky chipotle-infused wonderfulness that just got poured on top. I might have just drooled. It’s basically the same dressing for Vegan Southwestern Potato Salad, minus the mustard. And now I’m hungry for potato salad. Great.
Instead, I think I’ll make this coleslaw and pile it on some Instant Pot Vegan Sloppy Joes. Oh, you want the recipe? It’s next up, I promise. I just like making you wait.
I guess Spring and I have a lot in common.
Vegan Southwestern Coleslaw
- 4 cups green cabbage (1/2 head of cabbage thinly sliced)
- 4 cups red cabbage (1/2 head of cabbage, thinly sliced)
- 1 large sweet potato (peeled and shredded)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 1/2 cups Savory Cashew Cream (see note for substitution options)
- 2 Chipotles in adobo (or 2 tablespoons chipotle puree)
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice (1 or 2 limes, depending on how juicy they are)
- 3 cloves of garlic (or sub 1 teaspoon garlic powder or granulated garlic, minced or grated with a microplane , optional)
- Blend dressing with immersion blender, standard blender, or food processor.
- Mix with cabbage and sweet potato until thoroughly coated, then stir into cilantro to serve. Keeps for 3-5 days in the fridge.