Pistachios and cardamom were destined to be in blender muffins. And on top of the muffins. Can we just eat the muffin tops? Yes, we can. And we should.
Before I tell you about these muffins, I just have to say that I’m so grateful to everyone who took the time to encourage me after my last post about getting unstuck. Things are still challenging right now, but the feedback that I received was exactly what I need to keep going. So here we are, another day, another recipe to keep this wagon train a-movin’. I’m one lucky gal to say this is my job. Ok, back to the muffins, Beth.
If you want to see money evaporate into thin air, come to my house after I’ve just bought two pounds of pistachios. I swear I almost had to lock them up, because every time I turned around I saw Michael snacking on them. I mean, I love him and everything, but I had muffins to make and photograph, dang it! So he may have had to buy me a big bag of replacement pistachios at Costco, but it’s ok because I liked them better and they were prettier than the first ones I bought. Exhibit A, above, are the Wonderful Pistachios from Costco, and they are amazing. Sigh…but so expensive. WHY????? Anyway…
It’s been a while since I came up with another blender muffin recipe, and I’d had this flavor combo on my list for a long time, so here we are. And these are a little different than the previous blender muffin recipes (see the end of the post for the list), because they have a baked-on topping that is CRAZYPANTS DELICIOUS. How I ever managed to keep from eating it all before putting it on the muffins is a mystery known not even to me.
That, my friends, is crushed pistachios, maple syrup, and ground cardamom, all mixed together and ready to be portioned onto some muffin batter. Or shoveled into your mouth. I won’t tell anyone. Here’s a napkin.
If you do resist the topping temptation, you will be rewarded with a sweet, salty, crunchy, pistachio-y topping on tender, cardamom-scented muffins that are so good you won’t even care about the cost of pistachios. Ok, maybe you’ll care a little bit. But then you’ll take another bite and care less. So send someone you love to Costco or another purveyor of pistachios and make these muffins! And while you have your blender out, I hereby suggest you take advantage of the moment and have a muffin making marathon. Here are a few more to pick from!
Other Blender Muffin Recipes
Vegan Blender Muffins (the original that started it all)
Vegan Pumpkin Blender Muffins (read the comments!)
Pistachio Cardamom Blender Muffins
- 3 cups rolled oats (use certified GF oats for gluten-free)
- 3/4 cup shelled pistachios, almonds, cashews (or sub other nut if desired)
- 1/2 cup unrefined sugar or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (omit if using salted nuts)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 cup pistachios
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Finely chop pistachios and mix with maple syrup and cardamom in a small bowl.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Prepare muffin liners with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and puree until mostly smooth and no large pieces of nuts remain.
- Fill muffin liners to the brim with batter, adding 1 teaspoon of topping to each (if using).
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out mostly clean.
- Remove muffins to a cooling rack for at least 10 minutes before devouring.